Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I Feel Lucky Today

With regards to Gender and Sexuality, I've often said I feel fortunate that I fit pretty simply into the mould

I like the gender I'm “supposed” to like.
I identify in the body I've been born into.
My sexual choices are straightforward and easy. "Normal."

Not that normal is anything other than a statistical creation but it is complicated enough finding a solid relationship within the norms I was born with. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be to find a solid relationship if I was attracted to women, or if I felt I wasn't in the right gendered body, or if I felt I did not have a gender or was asexual or even just felt I was something that is considered "not normal."

But this isn't about me. This is about the person who came to me
and felt safe enough to share their truth
with me

I only hope that their choosing to share with me made their load just a little bit lighter and their life just a little freer.

I feel fortunate that I fit pretty simply into the mould.
But I feel blessed
so blessed and lucky
that someone who doesn't

came to me
to
be real
to speak up
to stand tall in their truth
and to come out
for the first time
out loud.

I’m pretty lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.